Thursday, April 24, 2008

Political Rambling

So we finally had our primaries here in Pennsy, which was a relief. I could not be more sick to death of political ads and discussions and this person said this and that one did something scandalous and blah blah blah. Get on with it! Add to that the fact that as a Republican, I pretty much had no say in who our candidate will be, since my state is one of the very last to vote. I don't know which of those clowns I would have picked for certain, but I'll have to live with John McCain I suppose.

My mother-in-law and I have a fun political relationship. We're definitely on opposing teams, but we like to tease each other with our party stereotypes. (I hate the environment for example, and just want to waste all of our resources! Whee!) When GWB won a second term she called me to congratulate me on 'my guy' winning. What I love about my MIL, in addition to the fact that she wore a bikini to the beach on her 50th bday, is that we can talk politics the way that everyone should be able to talk politics. Emotionally intense moral topics like abortion and the death penalty aside, most political discussions consist of people who want the best for their country & family. My MIL is a democrat and my FIL is a republican. This in itself is entertaining, but I'll save that for another day. I don't consider myself an idealist by any means, as I'm way too cynical and sarcastic to fall into that category. But I just don't see why we can't talk from both sides of the political table without it ending in bloodshed. I think this is why I'm not really a Rush Limbaugh or Ann Coulter fan - while I agree with a lot of their political stances in theory, I'm just not into the name calling stuff. I'm much more of a Glenn Beck fan, who is a thoughtful man when it comes to politics but doesn't tend to take himself too seriously, and has a wicked sense of humor.

I love our President, but I can find humor in GWB's foibles, and I'm not so self righteous as to not laugh when he says stuff about gynocologists practicing their love of women. One of my all-time favorite YouTube's is the Endless Love video of GWB and Tony Blair. I guess maybe I am an idealist in a way, since I don't see why we have to take ourselves so seriously when it comes to politics. Or maybe I am just sick to death of the political commercials already and will just be sticking my fingers in my ears til November. *la la la la not listening la la la*

No comments: