Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Shay's Super Special Sinus Surgery

Like the title? Alliteration is such fun. It also distracts me from the fact that I have been avoiding this surgery for years, blahhhhh.

I had a new CT scan done of my sinuses a few weeks back, and saw my ENT yesterday about the results. I knew five years ago that I needed surgery, but because we were trying to get pregnant then, I put it off. And then somehow *magically* five years passed. I'm not sure how that happens, but I'm pretty sure that one of the kids is turning the calendar ahead while I sleep. At any rate, I am now scheduled for surgery in September. I'll be having a septoplasty and a turbinectomy. (I'm on the fence about whether it's ok to make a turban-ectomy joke here, but I really want to.)

I understood what the doctor explained to me, but being the curious sort, I decided to google the procedures when I got home anyway. Yeah, that was a bad idea. You don't want to see the pictures involved with this. Here's a safer link that just describes the surgery. And if you look on this page you can see a scan that looks much like mine. (Maybe I'll scan mine in later, but I'm too lazy right now.) The 1st picture shows what it should look like inside, and the 5th & 6th pictures show more what mine look like. The turbinate is huge on the one side and blocking me all up. (How great is that 5th picture? It's like an alien head, haha!)
So now will begin the rest of the nonsense that goes with this, which would be seeing the allergist again to be re-tested (even though we already know that I'm allergic to everything), starting allergy shots (which I've also been putting off for the above mentioned time period), and figuring out how the Man can take a night off work (when we won't know what time the surgery will be until the night before) and of course asking friends & family to do my job with the kids for a few days. I can't decide which of these things I like the least, hence why I have put this surgery off all this time. Calling out sick has never really been an option for a stay-at-home-mom. I'm guessing that the Man will have to talk me out of cancelling it all entirely in the days ahead. I know that I'll feel better with the surgery, but seriously, it's just a giant pain in the butt.
And now that I'm done whining like a little girl about it, I'm off to do housework. Hoo-rah!

4 comments:

BeLoVed AiMeE said...

silence! I kill you!

BeLoVed AiMeE said...

you don't have to publish that comment but I really wanted to say it. :)

Shay said...

Oh I'm totally publishing that one, hahahaha!

Julie said...

I can see why you've put it off, but I really hope the surgery helps long term. Take all the help you can get. Friends get more upset if they find out after the fact that they could have helped but weren't asked. Trust me on this one!