Monday, July 26, 2010

New York City

Time for a new layout! I wanted something a bit smoother & simpler. :)

I went to NYC with some girlfriends this past weekend. They are ladies from my original March 2002 Moms internet group, which I joined back when I was expecting the Boy in 2001. We have been through so much together, and I can't believe it's been so long. I have met many of them over the years (including Chrissy who never blogs!), but this trip I met two I hadn't before, which was a real treat.
We took a bus tour, which I highly recommend. It wasn't cheap, but we got to see so much of the city. I've been to NYC many times, but only seen a few of the touristy sights. We took the Downtown Tour, and added the Empire State Building and Statue of Liberty.I have to say, I was nervous about the trip! I was very squirrelly about not missing my train in & out of the city. And once I found and got on my train home, I had a crazy moment of panic where I thought, 'What if I got on the wrong train?! I won't know until we're already moving, when he comes to punch my ticket! GAHHHH!' But I'm an obsessive nerd, because I had checked the departing trains schedule like 19 times and of course got on the right one. Anyhow, the ride up was quiet, and gave me 90 minutes to read a new Ted Dekker book. The ride home I read a little bit, but also chatted with the man sitting next to me. It went much faster than I thought it would, and overall the day did too. I was ready to go home though, it was exhausting!
Waiting in line to get into the security tent for the Statute of Liberty ferry was crazy. The line was huge, and the heat was over 100 degrees at that point. Needless to say we bought a LOT of water from street vendors!
This was the first time I have been to the site of the World Trade Center. I've been in NYC since 9/11, but never wanted to go. It was just as surreal as I expected it to be. I don't know if the other side is more open, but the side we were on was almost completely fenced, so you couldn't see much. They did have a link posted where you can see the WTC Progress.
This was also the first time I've ever been to the top of the Empire State Building, which was amazing!

1 comment:

Julie said...

Your new layout looks great! Your trip to NYC sounds amazing. I'd love to do something like that for my 40th birthday in a couple of years. It's so cool that you got to meet some friends in person!