Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Quotations

Being a lover of words and books, I often find myself annoyed with people when they overuse certain sayings, or misuse certain words. (ex. cavalry instead of Calvary) There are many quotes that I hear people use that I find tedious. I feel like Mr. Heckles with my Big Book of Grievances, but it is what it is. (And maybe I have had one too many snow days with the kids, and just feeling like griping, I don't know.)


"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best." 
— Marilyn Monroe

I see this posted on Facebook by women who want to feel empowered. I really hate this quote. I get the concept that we all are flawed human beings and we all want love, but taking an obnoxious stance about having the right to be a giant pain in the butt, based on a quote from a woman who slept with married men and died of drug addiction? Really? She's hardly someone I want to emulate.


"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." 
— Maya Angelou

Yeah, I don't measure my life by either of those things. And I'm sure I'll be crucified for not joining the Maya fan club, and I don't care.


"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." 
— Friedrich Nietzsche


That which does not kill us has no power to make us anything, let alone stronger. We choose how we will respond, and we choose if we will become stronger or weaker based upon our experiences. Otherwise, you are just some sap along for the ride, with no say on your emotional compass. No thanks.


So I leave you with a quote that I do appreciate, from Oscar Wilde:

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." 

6 comments:

Trish D said...

I'm right there with you on the quote thing - there are so many things in life that have been overdone. And just want to point out that the 2nd one isn't a Maya Angelou quote - I've often seen it attributed to George Carlin, and there's a fun discussion about it here: http://forum.quoteland.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/99191541/m/4951968576

"Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. Like choking."

Shay said...

oh my gosh, thanks for the reminder Trish! I forgot I was going to also talk about mis-attributed quotes as well. I thought I got the Maya one from a reliable source - that will teach me! lol

Laura said...

Ditto-I have someone who posts quotes like this 4-10x a day and it drives me crazy. It also makes me sad, because when it really gets down to it, it's watching someone searching for answers and truth in all the wrong places.

Carla said...

Great commentary on some stupid quotes :)

Anonymous said...

I always feel the same way about the MM one. I greatly dislike the Angelou chick too. ~Chris

Theresa said...

I loved this post more than you will ever know!
(I am a huge fan of quotes, but you knew that already, didn't you?)