Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Decisions in Early Sobriety



Charlie Sheen says Sobriety Bores Him

"I was sober for five years a long time ago and was just bored out of my tree," he said during the rambling 28-minute phone interview with "It's inauthentic -- it's not who I am. I didn't drink for 12 years and, man, that first one [drink], Dan. Wow."

This guy is clearly a genius. They should bottle that kind of hubris and market it to people. It's really sad that he believes any of the nonsense coming out of his own mouth. And not to sound like one of those annoying granny-types, but only boring people get bored. Get some interests outside of partying, get some real friends, get a clue and get a life! I don't want to be arrogant towards him, as if I know it all and he's an idiot, but really, his attitude is slap-worthy.
I have a friend who is making a questionable decision in early sobriety. And by questionable I mean something that every freshly sober person is told not to do.  I have tried to talk to him, and he appreciates that I do care about his well-being and his sobriety, but he just tells me that he has thought it through and it will be fine. I am by no means some kind of genius/expert, but I do know how to stay sober, and I do know that that is because I listened and took suggestions from people with more time than me. Anyone with time in this program could tell him why this isn't a good idea, but he somehow thinks that he knows better, in spite of his track record. It frustrates me, but I have done what I could and have to let it go. I wish him the best, and I hope he will stay sober.

"If the kind, loving, responsible, and honest people in your life are upset with you, then you had better look at the choices you are making. But if the controlling, hot and cold, irresponsible, or manipulative people are upset with you, then take courage!" --Dr. Henry Cloud

1 comment:

BucksCountyFolkArt said...

That's a shame about old Charlie. If being sober is boring, he must be Mayor of Dullsville. I guess after all those years of writers telling him how to be funny and clever, he just can't think on his own.

What is every freshly sober person told not to do (besides have a drink?) i know alot of people who have gotten "sober" for a while, but think they can handle just one drink. Never works.

For those exact same reasons, I can't have certain food in the house. I KNOW i can't just stop at one..or two.....the addiction may be different, but the impulses are the same. My demon is SUGAR and I have to be careful because Diabetes runs in the family.