Thursday, March 31, 2011

Nine Years Old

Yet another similarity between Autism Spectrum and ADHD:
Why Do Children with Autism Wander?

And yet somehow people still want to think that ADHD is caused by bad parenting or too much sugar. They can accept that an autistic child has behavior that they can't control, but think that an ADHD child just isn't trying hard enough. So many minds to change, sigh...

E turned 9 last week, and it has been an interesting time since then. And by interesting I mean, 'What in the world is going on with this kid?!' We had gotten him an alarm clock months ago but he always unplugged it or just turned it off. Waking him up in the morning was rotten, as he is such a heavy sleeper and never wanted to cooperate. But the day after his birthday he came down, completely dressed at 8am. I was stunned. He informed me that when he heard his alarm he decided that since he was now 9, he wanted to be big and get himself up. Then during breakfast he told me that he loved me. He then told me that the daffodils he had picked me the day before were a symbol of his love for me. I was quite taken aback, but also didn't think it would be a lasting change. It's now been 10 days, and not only is he still waking up, dressing himself and then eating breakfast & taking meds with no problems, today he got up a half hour earlier so he would have extra time to play a video game. I could eat this kid up!

2 comments:

Julie said...

wow, that's pretty amazing about your son!

I've talked to you before about my son. Although he's still not been diagnosed with anything, there are things that he does that he can't control. It's really hard to make people understand that! and should I have to, really?

BucksCountyFolkArt said...

What a relief! I remember the whole potty training thing and wondering when it would end. Then one day, they just went on the potty, all by themselves, no asking, no nothing. Sometimes we just gotta step back and let them do it in their own time.