Monday, April 9, 2012

Easy to Love

After a particularly rough morning with E, this really lightened my heart when it came up in my Facebook news feed:


The kids had a four day weekend for Easter, and this is always the kiss of death for E. He does not deal with change well, nor does he transition well back into routine. He cried, argued and carried on all morning. He kept asking why he even has to go to school, and then made his case for taking Amy (the hamster) to school with him. He even carried her cage to the door. I had to take her from him and put her back, try not to lose my patience with him and get him even more upset before I had to drop him off. I emailed his teacher and guidance counselor to give them a heads up. No phone calls yet, so I'm praying that his day is going okay.
I had a meeting with our lead pastor this morning and he mentioned the book, Shepherding a Child's Heart. I have a long list of books I want to read, but I may move this one to the front of the list if it seems like it could help E survive to adulthood.

UPDATE: The school never called, and I found myself checking my phone all day to see if I had missed their call. When I picked E up from school he was in a good mood. I asked him how his day was, and he said that it had started out bad, but that he had turned it around. I was so proud of him, that I un-grounded him. I want to reinforce how important it is that you can always start over. This was big for him, and I'm so pleased!

1 comment:

Theresa said...

I read it. To me it seemed like the age of the children is much younger than our boys. There is another book written by Tripp called Age of Opportunity. That is geared a little older, more towards our girls ages I think. Both are EXCELLENT. Put them at the top of your list, for sure!