Monday, June 28, 2010

New Book Glee

I finally did something really smart to get myself on track with this whole writing career that I seem to think will magically happen all on it's own. (long sentence, I know, don't care) I ordered The Christian Writers' Market Guide for 2010. I have really always wanted to write novels, but the Small People have currently voted against this. So, it seems that smaller projects would be a wise place to at least get my feet wet. I've submitted articles twice to Mom Sense magazine and had both rejected. I was pleased that I actually buckled down and wrote and made the submissions though, so it wasn't too crushing when they weren't interested. (And if we're really being honest, I don't even like Mom Sense, so I don't know why I tried to write for them!)
I figure the Market Guide is a good place to start doing research and find some good options for article writing.
In the meantime, I'm off to visit Ms. Dashwood and find some good prompts to work on tonight....
blog button

4 comments:

Julie said...

why don't you try to submit an article to Guideposts? I love that little magazine. They even have an annual contest where you can win a trip to a writers workshop. I think it'd be soooo cool, but unfortunately I'm not a writer.

Shay said...

Great idea Julie, thanks. I definitely need to look into the options out there. Hadn't considered them, so I'll check the book when it comes! :)

BucksCountyFolkArt said...

In the art world, rejection is just the name of the game. It's hard. It hurts. But, it may also prompt you to dig deeper. Did they give you specific reasons why they rejected your work? It may very well have had nothing to do with your writing, but it just wasn't they were looking for. I've read about so many writers, artists, comic strip illustrators, etc. who were rejected over and over again. Try not to take it personally.

Shay said...

Thanks Jill. I wasn't given a specific reason, just that they could not use my submission and that was all. (They were specific submissions based on topical requests made on their writer's guidelines page.) It didn't feel great to get the rejection letters, but I do understand that it's a process. I know that it will also prompt me to work harder to refine my writing too. :)